First class, December 6, 2012

So, I did it, excuses and all.  I signed up for the three classes and a pair of gloves for $20.00.  I received an e-mail from the manager telling me a little bit about the program and the schedule.  He listed the names of the instructors, a woman and a man.  He didn't tell me who was teaching what days, though.  So I'm thinking maybe I should go to the man's class first because he's a guy, might have a little more compassion for an overweight girl than a woman would.  You know as well as I do, guys give in too easy to a girl in tears.  Women, however, are like "Just suck it up."

I told the manager, Rob, I would go in on Thursday morning, December 6, 2012, for the first class.  Alright, that's set, now to find a babysitter.  Travis' mom, Tina, said she would watch Tristan for me, okay, good, that's done.

Thursday morning I woke up early to type a couple of jobs that were due by 9 a.m.  I got my cup of coffee and typed for an hour.  I took Ary to school and came back home.  I'm looking around, what do I have to wear and what do you wear to something like this?  It's not like I go out to the store and buy myself clothes.  Do you have any idea how hard it is to go clothes shopping and have to face reality of how heavy you really are?  Ugh, I just avoid that whenever possible.  Digging through my clothes in the house, I found a pair of black pants and then I'll just wear one of Travis' t-shirts.  The sports bra that I have barely fits, wonderful.  I guess they'll be popping out all class.  AHH, Travis' mom's here early, no time to back out now.

On the drive over I'm okay.  I just listen to the music and sing, don't think.

I pull into the parking lot, there's two cars there, so there's going to be other people there, not too much focus on me, good.  Walk in the door and the first thing I see is a woman, Maryann, standing there with a bandana on, very fit, and looks like she could knock me out with one punch.  CRAP, my mind is saying, turn around, turn around, but my body was kind of frozen.  Introductions were made, while I'm thinking, yep, she's going to kill you.  HA!  We kind of were just going over background stuff, like if I ever did any of this before.  I told them no, well, Judo but that was a very long time ago.  Oh, yeah, the two cars, that was the manager's car and Maryann's car, so no one else was there.  We waited for a few minutes and no one else showed up.  100 percent attention on me, awesome.

As I'm getting ready to go in and get started, the manager says "There's a bathroom inside the gym just in case you need it.  Most people throw up their first time.  Your first class is the hardest.  It does get easier."  ...................................... what did I get myself into?

Geez, these are really long posts, sorry.  They will get shorter, I promise.  I just want to go through all the emotions, eventually you'll see why.

"Your first warm up is to get the bag out on the floor.  Jump onto the base of the bag and roll it out."  Ha, really, show my weakness right away.  I jump up on the bag and pull it down, not that bad.  I think I'm worrying too much.  Warm up time, "walk around the room", okay, got that.  "Now pick it up to a jog", crap, I'm a little out of breath.  "Side shuffle", stupid shins hurt.  "Squats, push-ups, sit-ups" geez, I'm already sweating and tired but I got this, I have to try and finish.  Look at the clock, only ten minutes in.  "Stretch it out", good, let me catch my breath.

"Start warming up the shoulders with this combination", not too bad.  Warm up lasts for 1.5 minutes on each side, changing every 30 seconds, okay, can do.  By the end of 1.5, switch stance and lead with your other arm, I'm tired already.  3 minutes up, take a lap, bring your water.  Good, catch my breath and drink, only sips though.  I refuse to be one that throws up in the first class.  We move onto the next combination for another 3 minutes, take a lap, another 3 minutes.  By the end of this 3 minutes, I was getting lightheaded.  Am I really this tired and out of breath?  I need to take a minute, I squat down.  Maryann says, don't sit, try and walk, so that's what I did.  It started to go away and feeling better.  Onto the next 3 minute round, by the end I was about to pass out again, this time I just lean up against the wall.  What is going on?  OH, hello, no breakfast, only coffee.  This is bad, very bad.  Apparently kickboxing burns so many calories in an hour, you really need to eat some kind of protein before you start.  Maryann, being the nice person that she is, said we didn't have to do the partner work today, probably only because I took up too much time trying not to pass out.  We jumped right into the cool down, stretches.  It felt absolutely wonderful to stretch out my muscles.

At this point, I am so happy that no one else was there to witness my two almost fainting spells.  I talked with Maryann for a little bit afterwards, very nice, giving me pointers, telling me I was going to be sore the next day.  No way, I'm already sore now, I don't have to wait till tomorrow.  I tell them I will try for Saturday morning as my next class and then leave.

Sitting down never felt so great.  I'm sweaty, sore and shaky.  My thigh is killing me, maybe pulled it, I don't know.  I get home, Travis' mom is standing there.  She can't believe how red my face is and how shaky I am.  I'm okay though.  I almost made it through the whole class and I'm still alive! All I could think about the rest of the night is, wow, that was so much fun.

The reason this post is so long is because I wanted to go through all of the emotions leading up to and the actual first class.  At the time of the first class, I am 214 pounds.  I have weak ankles, sore knees, lingering shin splints, a bulging disc in my lower back, tight neck, and no stamina at all.  Despite all of this, I made it through and I feel great!

1 comment: